Thread: Did I install the wrong kit?

Default Did I install the wrong kit?

Greetings, 1st time here and I am hoping some of you can help me. I have a 66 impala and bought the front disc brake conversion kit #6568CBKS.. Problem is my wheel offset is drastic and tires are hitting on fender. Is this the right kit or was there one that kept the offset in more, and not so extreme? Am I going to have to buy new wheels now? Any light shed on this would be great... Thanks

When converting from drum to disc the wheel offset changes... This happens because of the caliper bracket and rotor hub, The offset is +.668" per side. Typically; people with increase there current offset approx 1/2" on the new wheel to pull the wheel in a bit.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Quote Originally Posted by CPPAaron View Post
    When converting from drum to disc the wheel offset changes... This happens because of the caliper bracket and rotor hub, The offset is +.668" per side. Typically; people with increase there current offset approx 1/2" on the new wheel to pull the wheel in a bit.
    Thank you for replying.. I just can not believe that there is not a rotor/hub assy available that will fit, and have a shorter hat to bring the wheels back in. Buying new wheels for my car is the only viable option? Just dont seem right... Major sigh

All disc brakes have a wider offset then drums. It has to do with the position of the caliper bracket vs the wheel cylinder.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax