Thread: Power steering box differences

Default Power steering box differences

I am new to this site, but not new to old trucks. I have a 40 chev pu and a 64 chev pu and have owned a 50 and 46 chev pu in the past. I have ordered the kit from cpp to convert my 64 to power steering. It says to use a ps box from a truck up to 87. My question is can a box from a car such as a mid 70's camaro or fb be used instead? What is the difference? The spline? Thanks.

Default Steering box difference

Guess I'll answer my own question. The camaro box is on the inside of the frame, the truck is on the outside. The other question is the instructions say use a box from 69-87 buy I thought that the input spline changed somewhere alone the line. Somewhere along 1976? Anyone know if it did? Thanks

The steering gear mounting is all the same from 67-87 for this kit in a 800 series Truck box (passenger car wont fit)
    The later 77-87 boxes are 3/4x30 spline and use Metric O-ring fittings were the pre-77 box uses 13/16x36 and inverted flare fittings.
    Aaron Strietzel
    Email Aaron
    Classic Performance Products Inc.
    378 E. Orangethorpe Ave
    Placentia, CA 92870
    Visit Our Site
    714/522-2000
    714/522-2500 fax

Default Steering box differences

Quote Originally Posted by CPPAaron View Post
    The steering gear mounting is all the same from 67-87 for this kit in a 800 series Truck box (passenger car wont fit) The later 77-87 boxes are 3/4x30 spline and use Metric O-ring fittings were the pre-77 box uses 13/16x36 and inverted flare fittings.
    Thanks for the reply. The instructions sent with the kit said a box from 69-87 would work, but the rag joint in the kit is only good for 67-76. This could cause an extra expense if the box on hand was the newer variety. This is what caused my confusion.

There are many good information and details so I hope you will read carefully and take more information by take a look here.